Thursday, June 24, 2010

First Ultrasound for Baby 2!


Well, I had an eventful day. I had a Dr appointment today. We pin pointed the due date to February 10th 2011.
I measured at 7 weeks and 1 day. We had originally thought that I was around 8 weeks based on my cycle but it was slightly irregular.

They were immediately able to find this little nugget and the heart beat. The heart beat was around 140 beats per minute which is good.

Also, not shown in this picture was a second sac but no heart beat was detected. The doctor called this Vanishing Twin Syndrome. Apparently it happens a lot more than we realize. I just read that a US study predicted that it happens in 1 in 8 pregnancies when 1 and 70 actually result in multiples.

No matter, it definitely scared me when I saw that second sac. Could you imagine a 17 month old and 2 newborns? My head was already spinning. My doctor assured me that there is no hope for this sac and it will not harm my nugget. At my next appointment they are going to go ahead and do another ultra sound to make sure this vanishing twin was reabsorbed.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

2 babies so close together! wow! congrats!

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

Loving the new blog and pic, cant wait to follow along on this journey again!