Sunday, April 11, 2010

Pink Eye, Baby Food, and Teen at HEB

1. Pink Eye. Friday around 5 pm I noticed a little bit of green goop in Drew's little eyes. By 10 pm it became progressively worse . I had checked in on him around this time to see how he was doing. Right then he spit up so I picked him up and saw that both eyes were completely covered is bright green goop. yuck. The poor guy couldn't even open his eyes. I walked in our room, Ryan was already asleep, woke him up and said we are going to the ER. I did not want to wait till Monday when the offices open. We were in and out in 30 minutes with a prescription and headed towards a 24 hours pharmacy. By Saturday he was doing much better. His eyes were still a little swollen but the goop had decreased dramatically.

I am still not 100% sure it was pink eye. His eye balls weren't blood shot or red, I have a had pink eye several times, a draw back from my chosen profession, and his were not quite like that. Based on my credentials (internet research ; } ) and a motherly instinct I think it was allergies to the insane amount of pollen in the air. However, I am still giving him the eye drops and have kept him away from other children just in case. He should be good for day care on Monday.

Please forgive me for not posting a picture of this disgusting mess. I did not want to gross you out too much. AKA I tried but the photo did not capture the true severity of the goop!

2. In attempt to make up my failure in breast feeding, I am making approximately 60% of my own baby food. My entire pregnancy I had absolutely no doubt that Andrew would be 100% breast fed. However, I did not take into consideration the roller coaster of emotions and the physical process of recouping from a difficult delivery. There were many factors that led me to solely rely on formula by the time Andrew was 6 weeks old. Now, I do not regret giving up breastfeeding, I just wish I knew how difficult it was going to be.

I have made the basics like squash, sweet potato, Apples, pears, and bananas. Peas and Green beans never really worked out for me, I couldn't get the consistency right. I buy those jarred now. I am trying to break out and make a variety of things for Andrew to try. Two weeks ago I made a Butternut Squash and Apple Bake. Today I am making a Butternut Squash and Potato Mash and a Steamed mixture of Zucchini, Cauliflower, and Apple.

I love this website:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm

In the next two weeks, I am going to be thinking on how to make some protein baby food. I was looking at jars in the grocery store and some ingredients start to take a down fall when it comes to the meat jars. I will probably start with chicken. Though, I did buy some ground turkey today so maybe I will do something with that. We will see! I will let you know how that goes.

3. Some little teen boy at HEB was being nice and helping unload my grocery cart. He concluded from its contents I had a baby. He asked how old he was and then started talking about his friends who had babies really young. He said that one was doing great and the other was having a hard time time. I replied that it must be tough to be so young with an infant knowing that it is hard when I have the best family and the easiest baby. He said ohh no they were doing great with that, one snapped back into the shape and the other was a flabby mess! Was he trying to make a point about my flabby mess???? I wouldn't think so, but I am fully aware of the baby weight that is hanging on.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm so sorry poor little Drew had nasty eyes, hope he gets better soon! I am totally impressed you were in and out of the ER so quickly though. That's amazing!